Thursday, October 23, 2008

Pilates

I've decided to add Pilates to my usual workout routine of cardio and strength training to mix it up a little bit. Pilates is also a great way to increase flexibility and balance, maximize toning and improve posture. For me, the best part of Pilates is that it emphasizes the use of your "powerhouse" or your core to strengthen and tone your abs. I also love the soothing, controlled motions of Pilates that remind me of yoga.

At Target last night, I found a set of Pilates DVD's and equipment by Gaiman that included body bands (resistance bands). After dinner, I rolled out my mat and did the basic workout to refresh my memory on Pilates basics (breathing, stance, etc) and then moved on the the body band workout which incorporates resistance training with traditional Pilates moves to increase strength and toning. Afterwards I felt relaxed and like I'd gotten in a great full body stretch. I actually felt a little bit taller after I was finished!

I plan on doing the body band routine again tonight after cardio at the gym. I would highly suggest Pilates to anyone, especially people who have bad joints and can't do high impact cardio. I'll be back later with the daily menu!

No comments: