Thursday, November 13, 2008

Vitamins and Supplements

A lot have people have asked me about what type of vitamins and supplements I take and I've done a lot of research into what I should be taking. Now I'm by no means a doctor, pharmacist, licensed nutritionist or "qualified" to tell anyone what to take, but I thought that by sharing what I take, someone else might be inspired to look into choosing the right supplements and vitamins for their body and lifestyle.

As a 24 year old woman in excellent health, I'm mainly concerned with things that can improve my weight, my mood, my immune system and my overall health. So here's my daily run down that I take with my dinner.

Women's Daily Multivitamin- it's got all the good stuff in it that I need like vitamins A, C, E, and B12. I used to never take a multivitamin, but I swear I felt a difference after taking them for a few weeks!

Omega-3 formula- this contains fish, flax and borage oil which will give you your Omega-3, 6 and 9 fatty acids. These fatty acids are good for your heart and have been linked to cancer prevention. In terms of weight loss, Omega-3 has been linked to increased metabolic rates and increases in fat loss. Foods like salmon, tuna, flax seed and canola oil are all good natural sources of Omega-3.

B Complex- This contains extra Vitamin B1, B2, and B6 which aids your metabolism as it helps your body convert food into energy. The brand I take also has an extra 300mg of Vitamin C to boost my immune system.

What hasn't worked for me is diet pills like SlimQuick that contain stimulants which jack up your blood pressure, curb your appetite and most importantly DON'T PROMOTE A LIFESTYLE CHANGE. The leave you jittery, edgy and hungry at the end of the day. Vitamins and supplements can easily be added to any sensible diet and exercise regimen for a total lifestyle change. As you age and your body changes, so should your supplements and vitamins.

No comments: