Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Happy Veteran's Day

I always look forward to Veteran's Day because 1) its a great holiday that recognizes brave people and their selfless acts of courage, and 2) its my brothers' birthday, so happy birthday Steven & Paul and thank you to all the former and active duty troops. 

I started off the morning by taking the dog on a 20 minute walk and then heading to the grocery store. I find that I make good food choices and save money when I make a grocery list and stick to it. I plan out my meals and snacks for the week, so I'm only buying the food I really need which saves time and money. This week was a lot of fresh fruits and veggies, frozen vegetables, yogurt, fat free milk, lean turkey bacon and lunch meat, reduced fat cheese, eggs, canned beans and high fiber pasta and bread. 

Things on the menu for this week include:
-Lemon Garlic fish filets with high fiber pasta and steamed zucchini and yellow squash
-Mexican Enchilada casserole with salad and fat free dressing
-Shrimp and vegetable stir fry with rice 

The good thing about these meals is that I can make enough for two meals and use the leftovers for lunch or another dinner. I save money by stretching the food and I save time by only cooking once and having the points value of my food already figured out. I can also keep my meals interesting by rotating new recipes in each week, especially quick, cheap and easy meals like spaghetti or turkey tacos. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Really great blog. I've been on this long hard journey myself - one Year Oct 31 and down 43 pounds.

My page is on Spark -

http://my.sparkpeople.com/FDPIECH

It's such a wonderful free feeling to get the weight off. It hasn't been easy as I'm sure you're learning... but it can be done.

CONGRATS on your 12 pounds down...