Monday, December 22, 2008

A Grateful Girl On A Mission...

I just got off the phone with one of my best friends and I was thinking about our conversation... we discussed the usual things girlfriends chat about: family, work, men doing stupid things, and the rapidly approaching holidays. Sure, we use each other to vent, but one thing I love about this friend in particular is the fact that we discuss things that we're thankful for. So what I am thankful for, you may ask? Most of the usual stuff, but some really weird things as well. 

1) My family- we may not be the Cleavers, but there's a lot of love and support in my family, both immediate and extended. I know people who are not as fortunate as I am in the "family department", so I'm thankful for the family that I have. 

2) My friends- I've got a pretty incredible group of friends, even though they don't all know each other. I have childhood friends, work friends, and friends that I've met over the years through others or school. Each one of them is unique in their own way and has certain qualities or characteristics that I love about them. We may not always see eye to eye, but we're always there for each other. 

3) My health- I have been blessed genetically and physically to not have any major health issues. I am not physically or medically limited in any way, which is a gift when I see so many people (including those I love) struggling with illness and limitations. From to depression to cancer, there are so many things to be afflicted with, so I'm thankful that I'm healthy. 

4) My job- In today's economy, there are so many people struggling financially, or those who are out of work. I'm not wealthy by any means, but I can afford to support myself and I have a very stable job with benefits. I'm also fortunate because I love my work and get to support a cause I care about on a daily basis (our right to bear arms). 

5) My previous relationships- I'm not in a relationship right now, but I'm thankful that I'm okay with being single and also for what I've learned from my past relationships. I have had a few shitty boyfriends, but I've also had some really good ones that taught me about myself, and about love in general. My last boyfriend in particular helped me realize how loving yourself helps you love another person. He's still a very close friend of mine and I'm grateful for the lessons he taught me. 

My life is far from perfect. I've got debt, some weight to lose, a few character flaws, and a grandmother in a nursing home. But for the most part, I've been very fortunate. Call it luck, karma, fate, hard work, whatever you want to call it, I've got it pretty good. That's why this Christmas and New Year's will be all the more special, because I'm finally able to appreciate what I have and show my gratitude to those in my life who mean the most. To my fellow bloggers and those who just read, have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!! And to my Jewish friends, Happy Hanukkah, enjoy your festival of lights! 

1 comment:

CJ said...

Well said. Its so much easier to write about the negative things going on. Thanks for the positive spin. We all need to sit back and write about the things we are thankful for! I have resurrected the grateful journal I used to do with my children years ago. It helps you what's important in life!